February 4, 2006
Statesman Journal
Yamhill County public-health officials said they have received a high number of reported cases of shigellosis, a disease typically caused by people consuming contaminated food or water.
An investigation indicates that the majority of cases are people who ate at Tommy’s Restaurant in McMinnville from Jan. 23 to Jan. 27.
Anyone who ate there and has experienced severe diarrhea with a fever should seek medical care promptly, said Matt Jaqua, the Yamhill County environmental-health supervisor.

The restaurant is participating in the investigation.
Other symptoms include nausea, vomiting and stomach cramps. Symptoms usually last two or three days but may last for weeks in severe cases. Small children, the elderly, and people with weakened immune systems usually experience more severe cases, Yamhill County public-health officials said.
Anyone experiencing these symptoms should see their medical-care provider immediately.
The best way to prevent the spread of shigella bacteria is to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water after using the bathroom or changing diapers, and before preparing food or eating, Jaqua said.
Diarrhea and vomiting is the body’s way of getting rid of the bacteria, so anti-diarrhea medicines can prolong the illness.
For information, go to www.co.yamhill.or.us/ph or call (503) 474-4968 or (503) 554-7888.
Dan de Carbonel