McMINNVILLE, Ore. (AP) — Health officials in Yamhill County are reporting an outbreak of the bacterial disease shigellosis, often known as shigella.
They say early indications are that most victims ate at Tommy’s Restaurant in McMinnville between January 23rd and January 27th.
Symptoms can include severe diarrhea, vomiting, fever and stomach cramps.
Environmental Health supervisor Matt Jaqua said officials are worried about secondary cases, where people become infected after being exposed to people who are ill.
Symptoms usually last for two or three days but can last for weeks.
The illness is carried only by humans and is spread by fecal-oral contamination from ill or contagious individuals to others.
Jaqua said the restaurant is helping in the investigation. He said hand-washing goes a long way toward preventing the spread of the illness.